Sunday 21 June 2009

Oh, I Suck At Updating XD

Right, it's been far too long so let's take a little trip down memory lane! Let's go all the way back to mid-April actually! Richard came back to Kanazawa with me & we went to Kenroku-en to see the cherryblossom & also to the Higashi-chaya district but we couldn't go to the Ninja temple becaue you had to wait ages for a tour. I also took him to try ramen at Ippudo even though I hate ramen :P But it's ok because I like the little bun things they have there ^_^ Then between him going home & start of May some fairly interesting stuff happened, like going to Torinosuke with Alex's parents, exploring the countryside behind the uni with Mel and also performing taiko at a local festival ^_^ That was pretty fun! There was even a picture of Petteri & I in the local newspaper! We also had some barbecues outside the dorm & down by the river, as the weather was starting to get much nicer & appreciating of cherryblossoms was undertaken :)
But the main thing that happened was I joined a university circle - the Juggling & Magic Circle or "JMC" to precise. In JMC we basically meet up in afternoons & practise together; there are lots of different things to do i.e. juggling various numbers of balls, card tricks, cigar boxes, devil sticks, yo-yo, poi & the one I picked - diabolo! It's really fun to learn new tricks but it's also really fun to spend time with all my circle members (and new friends!), especially because it means practising speaking & listening to Japanese. So I'm really glad I joined because I made a lot of new friends & it means I don't just waste my free time sitting in my room playing games or something XD Near the end of April some people came round to play Wii & watch Appleseed with me & I realised it was actually really nice to have friends outside the dorm too because although I really like everyone I live with it's nice to spend time with different people occasionally so you don't get annoyed with each other!
At the start of May there was a national holiday period in Japan called "Golden Week" though it was actually that you got Monday-Wednesday off so 5 days really, but I guess week sounds better :P Anyway, that was pretty cool too because Dan, Richard & Annika all had friends come to Kanazawa so it was nice to go out & spend time with them too! I also took a trip out on the Sunday to visit Takaoka, which is Toyama, the next prefecture over from Kanazawa. I went to see my friend Keita which was really fun & we went to Zuiryu temple, the old castle park (which had a little zoo) & also saw the Takaoka buddha, which is meant to be one of the 3 big buddhas of Japan, though it's actually really because it has a giant halo which makes it so tall! We also had some giant ice creams & watched some children perform the shishimai (lion dance) at a local festival so it was a really good day!
Other fun things from the start of May include the welcome party for Sakiko (our new residential advisor) which was at GBs cafe & then karaoke so that was fun! Also, Kym & the colour green are particularly memorable... Plus I had some friends come round to eat together so that was really nice! :D Ooh, we had a party with our circle to welcome the new members & so we all went out to eat shabu-shabu & all the new people had to stand up & say where they were from, what they studied & what they were learning in JMC. Then everyone who had the same hometown/major/skill had to drink with them. For me, people who could speak some English joined me for England & of course everyone joined me for Japanese :P It was actually pretty fun even though I didn't eat much & actually it was all free because I am a junior member & the seniors paid for me! Wow! :D I also changed my hair... First I had some braids for a couple weeks, courtesy of Annika, but then I decided on something completely different & got it cut right above my shoulders with a fringe! I really didn't like it at first but actually I think I might keep the fringe for a bit & just grow the rest of the hair a bit longer again... We'll see. Anyway, this is getting a bit long & it's also getting late so I'll wrap this up for now & write some more soon (I hope!)
Thanks for reading, if you want to see some more photos either look on Facebook or send me an e-mail :) Take care! Kou x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an excitng time you have been having, cramming so much in all the time. The circle sounds fun too, and to get outside to do all these activities can't be bad!! Keep the updates coming. Pictures are also good to see along with the text. x